The schedule of our BCS-IRSG Symposium on Future Directions in Information Access (FDIA 2018) is online.
I am UoB's Principal Investigator of the EU H2020 Innovative Training Network QUARTZ (Quantum Information Access and Retrieval Theory), which is concerned with formal approaches to Information Access and Retrieval based on the quantum mechanical framework.
Prior to this, I was a member of the Information Retrieval group at the School of Computing Science of the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Glasgow. Before I was working in the Information Systems Working Group at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Duisburg-Essen, where I did my PhD on information modelling and retrieval based on user annotations. Before joining the group in Duisburg, I worked at Fraunhofer IPSI on annotation-based retrieval in Digital Humanities.
I hold a PhD from the University of Duisburg-Essen and Diploma (MSc equivalent) in Computer Science from the University of Dortmund. I am a BCS Fellow as well as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
My main research interests are Information Retrieval, Information Systems and Digital Libraries. Please contact me if you are interested in a BSc, MSc or PhD project in these areas. In particular, I have been working on the following topics:
- Probabilistic and logic-based models for Interactive
Information Access and Retrieval (esp. probabilistic Datalog and
models inspired by quantum mechanics). In particular, I'm interested
in models utilising the Principle of Polyrepresentation.
- Information Access and Annotation Services in Digital
- Bibliometric-enhanced Information Retrieval
- Automatic textual and non-textual Categorization
- Recommender Systems, Expert Search and Sentiment Classification
- Automatic cyberstalking detection
- Semantic Search on Linked Open Data
- Machine learning and Information Retrieval
I gave a tutorial about quantum probabilities and quantum-inspired IR
at the Autumn School of the German IR Specialist Group.
ProjectsProjects I have been involved in:
- At the University of Bedfordshire:
- Quantum Information Access and Retrieval (QUARTZ), an EU H2020 Innovative Training Network (PI)
- EDISON, an EU H2020 Coordination and Support Action with the purpose of accelerating the creation of the Data Science profession. I established UoB as Data Science Champion University within the project.
- Talking Objects, Augmented Reality in museums for children (PI, with Luton Culture and Luton Wardown Park Museum)
- Knowledge Transfer Project with Drax Technology on Internet of Things and intelligent fire alarms (lead academic)
- Great War Stories - A crowdsourced digital museum about World War I as experienced by the people in Luton, a town in England (PI)
- Intelligent Executive Search, a commercial search engine for executives (private commercial consultancy project)
- Several Innovation Voucher and Innovation Bridge projects
- At the University of Glasgow:
- Renaissance - Modelling Information Retrieval processes using the formalism of Quantum Theory
- INEX Interactive Track 2010
- At the University of Duisburg-Essen:
- POLAR - Probabilistic Object-oriented Logics for Annotation-based Retrieval (my own PhD project)
- CLASSIX - Classification and Intelligent Search on Information in XML
- Initiative for the Evaluation of XML retrieval (INEX)
- LACOSTIR - LAyout, COntent and STructure in Interactive Retrieval
- DELOS - A Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries
- DAFFODIL - Distributed Agents for User-Friendly Access of Digital Libraries
- At Fraunhofer IPSI, Darmstadt:
- COLLATE - Collaboratory for Annotation, Indexing and Retrieval of Digitized Historical Archive Material
- BRICKS - Building Resources for Integrated Cultural Knowledge Services
- SCHOLNET - A Digital Library Testbed to Support Networked Scholarly Communities
- VIP-Advisor - Virtual, independent advisor for personal insurance and finance risk management
Topics I have been teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level comprise:
- Information Retrieval
- Information Engineering
- Machine Learning and Data Mining
- XML and Ontologies, Semantic Web
- Programming (mainly Java)
- Data Modelling and Management
- Distributed and Parallel Computing
I am the co-ordinator of the BSc (Hons) Information and Data Systems course/programme at the University of Bedfordshire.