I am Reader (Associate Professor equivalent) in Data Science in the School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences at the University of Wolverhampton. I mainly work in the
areas of Information Retrieval and Digital Libraries.
Prior to this, I was Senior Lecturer in the School of Computer Science and Technology of the University of Bedfordshire in Luton, UK. I was a member of the Information Retrieval group at the School of Computing Science of the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Glasgow. Before I was working in the Information Systems Working Group at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Duisburg-Essen, where I did my PhD on information modelling and retrieval based on user annotations.
Before joining the group in Duisburg, I worked at Fraunhofer IPSI on annotation-based retrieval in Digital
I hold a PhD from the University
of Duisburg-Essen and Diploma (MSc equivalent) in Computer Science
from the University
of Dortmund. I am a BCS
Fellow as well as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I was the University of Bedfordshire's Principal Investigator of the EU H2020 Innovative
Training Network QUARTZ
(Quantum Information Access and Retrieval Theory), which is
concerned with formal approaches to Information Access and Retrieval
based on the quantum mechanical framework.
My main research interests are Information Retrieval, Information
Systems and Digital Libraries. The aim of my research is to tackle information overload by supporting users in finding relevant information more effectively. To this end, I employ cognitive and human-centric theories such as the Principle of Polyrepresentation or Information Foraging Theory. Being an educated computer scientist, I use mathematical formalisms (e.g., Hilbert spaces), AI and machine learning to bring the human into the loop.
Please contact me if you are interested in a BSc, MSc or PhD project in
In particular, I have been working on the following topics (links lead to peer-reviewed example papers):
As an example of my work, I gave a tutorial about quantum probabilities and quantum-inspired IR
at the Autumn School of the German IR Specialist Group.
Projects I have been involved in:
- At the University of Wolverhampton:
- SOLVD -
EU European Regional Development Fund project to support Telford &
Wrekin and Shropshire small and medium sized
enterprises (SMEs) in the adoption of digital technologies
- At the University of Bedfordshire:
- Quantum Information
Access and Retrieval (QUARTZ), an EU H2020 Innovative Training
- EDISON, an EU H2020
Coordination and Support Action with the purpose of accelerating
the creation of the Data Science profession. I established UoB as
Data Science Champion University within the project.
- Talking Objects, Augmented Reality in museums for children
(PI, with Luton Culture
and Luton Wardown Park Museum)
- Knowledge Transfer Project with Drax Technology on Internet of Things and intelligent fire alarms
War Stories - A crowdsourced digital museum about World War I as
experienced by the people in Luton, a town in England (PI)
- Intelligent Executive Search, a commercial search engine
for executives (private commercial consultancy project)
- Several Innovation Voucher and Innovation Bridge projects
- At the University of Glasgow:
- Modelling Information Retrieval processes using the formalism of
- INEX Interactive Track 2010
- At the University of Duisburg-Essen:
- At Fraunhofer IPSI, Darmstadt:
- COLLATE - Collaboratory for Annotation, Indexing and Retrieval of
Digitized Historical Archive Material
- BRICKS -
Building Resources for Integrated Cultural Knowledge Services
- SCHOLNET - A Digital Library Testbed to Support Networked
- VIP-Advisor - Virtual, independent advisor for personal insurance
and finance risk management
I am coordinator of the MSc Computer Science and Data Science and MSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence online MSc Programmes at the University of Wolverhampton.
I was the coordinator of the BSc (Hons) Information and Data Systems course/programme during my time at the
University of Bedfordshire.
Topics I have been teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate
- Information Retrieval
- Information Engineering
- Machine Learning and Data Mining
- XML and Ontologies, Semantic Web
- Programming (mainly Java)
- Data Modelling and Management
- Distributed and Parallel Computing
Some of my research-related activities include:
- Managing editor of the International
Journal on Digital Libraries (IJDL).
- (Senior) program committee member and reviewer of several
leading conferences such as ECDL/TPDL, JCDL, ECIR, ICTIR, CHIIR,
CIKM and SIGIR.
- Reviewer for several journals such as ACM Transactions on
Information Systems (TOIS), Elsevier Information Systems, Elsevier
Information Processing & Management (IP&M), The Journal of the
American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST),
The Information Retrieval Journal (Springer), The Computer Journal,
PLOS ONE, Theoretical Computer Science (Elsevier), Scientometrics
(Springer) and The International Journal on Digital Libraries
- Co-organiser or Program Chair:
- Treasurer and a member of the steering committee of the BCS Information Retrieval Specialist Group.
- I was member of the steering committee of the Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval of the German
- Editorial board member of the
Datenbank Spektrum (Springer), the official journal of the German Information
Retrieval resp. Database special interest groups.